MakeMKV was forbidden the second time, trace the reasons for MakeMKV down and find its best MakeMKV alternative – DVDFab. Now, this alternative is on sale by the end of May 1st. Use the discount code (50FORMKV) to get all the Blu-ray and UHD singles and bundles of DVDFab 12.
Note: See what you cannot do during MakeMKV down here.
“Movie Disc” vs “Streaming Service”
Nowadays, there are many ways to watch movies, and let’s see the pros and cons of each situation.
Situation 1: I collect movies since high school and continue to do that throughout college.
- It gives me an opportunity to share movies with friends.
- I have to pack up boxes of DVDs home and spare space for them.
- DVDs and Blu-rays are easy to be broken or lost.
- Each disc movie will cost me about $15-20.
- The release of discs is later than online display, and some movies have no physical release plan.
- Region code makes some discs unavailable in some districts.
Situation 2: I watch movies online through streaming services on Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, iTunes, Vudu, etc.
- It seems you have more choices to select any video online.
- Not all the movies you want can be found on such online streaming platforms. Old disc movies are hard to find in streaming. If you want a rich movie library, you have to pay for multiple online websites.
- Subscription fees are needed for different websites. For example, you can subscribe iTune for $12/month or Vudu for $3-7/month.
- Streaming quality is far from the original movie in a disc.
- Televisions are still the best way to watch movies, but they may not offer the specific app where your movies are. So you have to connect your TV with streaming apps.
After a detailed comparison of “movie disc collection” and “online streaming service”, which way do you like to watch your favorite videos? If you choose the former, there are lots of DVD and Blu ray decrypters and DVD/Blu-ray ripping software available. Continue to read and find the best answer.
Is MakeMKV Free(Is MakeMKV Still in Beta)?
Yes, MakeMKV beta still exists to offer a free trial for up to 30 days, and you can pursuit a MakeMKV beta download to save your money.
Note: The current MakeMKV beta key valid until July 2021:
How Much Does MakeMKV Cost?
$50 together with some taxes will be charged if you desire to support this MKV maker and enjoy more functions in the MakeMKV full version. After you purchase that, a registration code will be sent to your mailbox within one week.
Does MakeMKV Lose Quality (Is MakeMKV Lossless)?
Yes, any software, including but not limited to MakeMKV, rips DVD and Blu ray with quality loss. But the video quality will not be affected greatly by the top DVD ripping software. And during the process of DVD to MKV or Blu ray to MKV conversion, all the metadata in your files such as track titles, chapter and language will be kept intact.
How Fast MakeMKV Rip DVD or Blu-ray Files?
Lack of hardware acceleration makes MakeMKV slow to rip DVD and Blu rays. So how long your movie is, how long it will take to convert DVD and Blu-ray files using MakeMKV. If you are not content with MakeMKV rip speed, you can ask a MakeMKV alternative for help. For example, DVDFab DVD Ripper, supported by multi-core CPUs, the newest NVIDIA CUDA, and Intel Quick Sync, offers a lightning ripping speed. So you can use this MakeMKV alternative for batch conversion of DVD and Blu ray files.
Can MakeMKV Rip Blu Ray?
Yes, MakeMKV rips both DVD and Blu ray files, and MKV is the only output format of this software. If you want to convert DVD to MP4 or other formats, you can use a video converter such as DVDFab Video Converter to finish that.
How to Use MakeMKV (How Do I Make an MKV File)?
MakeMKV is dedicated to creating MKV out of DVD and Blu-ray files, so follow the steps below to output an MKV file.
- Get MakeMKV launched in your machine (Windows/Mac/Linux)
- Insert a disc in your optical drive
- Click the icon of “drive”, and wait for MakeMKV to scan the file
- Tick off the titles, audio tracks, subtitles you want
- Set an output folder
- Click the button of “Make MKV”
- Decrypt region code, BD+, AACS automatically and make MKV file
How Do You Shrink MKV Files?
MKV file size is very big, so if you choose MakeMKV as your DVD ripping software, lots of space is needed especially for Blu-ray videos. In order to solve this problem, how do you shrink an MKV file? The best method I think is to convert MKV to MP4 using DVDFab Video Converter. Through this way, 10GB file can be compressed to 2-3GB as MP4 file size is smaller than that of MKV.
Why Is MKV File Hard to Play?
MKV is a container format able to hold all kinds of video, audio, picture, and subtitle tracks together, but it is not a standard video format, so many players fail to decode MKV files. For instance, it is impossible to play an MKV file in Apple’s Apps like iTunes or on iOS devices. So if you want to convert DVD or Blu-ray to MKV with MakeMKV, you need to find a special MKV player like DVDFab Player 6.
Another problem you need to take into account is copy protection, which makes it hard to copy DVD and Blu-ray to a hard drive, NAS box, or USB stick, even if you have paid for a disc. Accordingly, players able to play copy-protected movies also rise in price.
Does MakeMKV Remove Copy Protection (Does MakeMKV Decrypt DVD)?
Yes, MakeMKV can rip protected DVD and Blu-ray files including region code, AACS, and BD+ encryption. And it bypasses AACS and BD+ independently. From this aspect, MakeMKV is better than Magic DVD Ripper, since Magic needs the help of AnyDVD HD to decrypt Blu ray protection. But according to DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act) in the United States, it is illegal to decrypt Blu-ray and DVDs, so Google has removed MakeMKV download page recently. In response to this breaking news, you can find a MakeMKV alternative instead.
Common DVD and Blu ray protection
When you rip DVD and Blu ray files, copy protection removal is a key point you need to consider. Here, I will list some common DVD and Blu\-ray protections likely embedded in your discs.
(1) Common DVD Protection:
- CSS (Content Scramble System) – a DRM (Digital Rights Management) and encryption system on commercial pre-recorded DVDs. It often causes strange behavior and odd error on computer systems, especially when a disc and a drive come from different regions.
- Apple FairPlay: protect iTunes movies, TV shows, and music videos, making them inaccessible on non-Apple devices.
- 99-Titles: present 99 titles for a DVD file to confuse people.
- RC (Region Code): a DRM used to control DVD release, including its content, release date, price in a special region.
- REC (Region-code enhanced): also called “REA”, used to prevent the playing of one regions’ disks in another region. Many “multi-region” DVD players can defeat this copy protection automatically.
- UOP (User Operation Prohibition): keep users from modifying DVD sections using DVD players, widely used for copyright notices such as FBI warning.
- Sony ArccOS (Advanced Regional Copy Control Operating Solution): an additional layer in collaboration with CSS used to corrupt DVD sectors and lead to copying error.
- APS (Analog Protection System): famous as Macrovision, usually applied to the composite analog video signal from DVD players. It controls video recorders automatically and leads to annoying shifts in brightness and color.
- DVD Disc Corruption: take form in ARccOS (by Sony), Disney X (by Disney), RipGuard (by Rovi), etc., embedded in some commercial DVD releases. But most sophisticated DVD copy tools can manage it.
- RipGuard: stop people from making a digital backup of DVD content using computer-based programs.
(2) Blu ray protections
- AACS encryption: based on AES (Advanced Encryption Standard), developed by a series of companies including Disney, Intel, Microsoft, Panasonic, Warner Bros, IBM, etc.
- BD+ protection: part of the Blu-ray Disc Digital Rights Management system, owned by Irdeto which bought it from Rovi Corporation in 2011.
- Cinavia: involve “steganography” or watermarking, featuring “playback stopped” and “audio muted”. It is unique copy protection preventing media files and copied discs from playing on most Blu-ray players. MakeMKV cannot decrypt Cinavia as like DVDFab Blu-ray Ripper.
Blu ray and DVD Copy Protection Removal
In order to back up DVD and Blu-ray movies for personal use, there are many methods for DVD copy protection removal and Blu-ray copy protection removal. Some software can even be used for both copy protection removal and DVD/Blu-ray ripping. So here I will list some top DVD rippers and Blu-ray rippers for your choice.
(1) DVDFab Passkey for DVD (Windows): remove almost all DVD copy protections like RC, RCE, APS, UOPs, ARccOS, RipGuard, region code, etc.
(2) DVDFab DVD Cinavia Removal (Windows and Mac): detect and remove strong Cinavia watermarks automatically, enable you to play DVD files smoothly on PS3, PC, etc. with lossless AC3 audio track.
(3) DVDFab Passkey for Blu-ray (Windows): bypass BD+, 3D BD+, AACS MKB v 26, AACS bus encryption, Region Code, BD-Live, and UOPs; allow users to watch any Blu-ray and 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray movies.
(4)DVDFab Blu-ray Cinavia Removal (Windows and Mac): get rid of Cinavia protections embedded in Blu-ray audio tracks, helping you to rip Blu ray with DVDFab Blu-ray Ripper.
In order to rip DVD and Blu-ray files to your preferred video format besides and decrypt various copyright protection, ask some MakeMKV alternatives for help.
DVDFab DVD Ripper (Windows/Mac)
- The best free DVD ripping software
- Able to convert DVD disc/folder/ISO image file to 3D and 2D video
- Output videos: MKV, MP4, AVI, FLV, WMV, M2TS, etc.
- Supported audios: MP3, WAV, AAC, DTS, OGG, PCM, etc.
- Export devices: Apple, Android, Samsung Galaxy, Google, etc.
- Upscale videos to 1080p with the help of Enlarger AI
- Convert DVD to Blu ray 10x faster and losslessly
- Help you rip any part of your DVD files
DVDFab Blu-ray Ripper (Windows/Mac)
- The best free Blu ray ripping software
- Able to convert Blu ray disc/folder/ISO image file
- Output 3D videos and 2D videos in mainstream formats
- Offer “Enlarger AI” option to upscale video by 300%
- Help you convert any part of your Blu ray files
- Easy-to-use and no ads
DVDFab UHD Ripper (Windows/Mac)
- The best free UHD ripper
- Convert 4K UHD movie to MKV/M2TS/MP4
- Free and fast without quality loss
- Support 4K HEVC 10-bit or SDR quality
Mac DVDRipper Pro (Mac)
- Able to read scratched and broken DVDs
- Allow you to rip 5 DVD files in a free trial
- Only make a backup of the main movie
- Offer a 7-day free trial
- Rip DVD/Blu ray to MKV/AVI, etc.
- It is claimed to decrypt copy protections but no details
- Interface language: English, French, Italian, and Polish
- Decrypt DVD region code, CSS protection, ArccOS, UOPs
- Rip protected DVDs to different formats like MP4, AVI, HTML5, etc.
- Support devices like iPhone, iPad, Samsung Galaxy S6, etc.
- Rip everything to Mac including movie, subtitles, alternate tracks
- It takes about 1.5 hours to rip a DVD
- Output files playable on iTunes, iPod, iPhone, etc.
DVD Decrypter (Windows)
- Able to decrypt CSS copy protection and region code
- Convert DVD/Blu ray/UHD to MKV
- Free DVD ripping software
Noteburner M4V Converter Plus (Windows/Mac)
- Able to remove DRM protection on iTunes
- Convert M4V to MP4, MOV, AVI, etc.
- Keep AC3 5.1 audio and all subtitles
DVD Shrink (Windows)
- Decrypt CSS, UOPs, and region code
- Convert DVD fast and flawlessly
- Simple and safe to use
AnyDVD HD (Windows)
- Disable RPC region code, ARccOS, RipGuard from DVDs
- Decrypt BD-Live from Blu-rays
- Offer a free trial up to 21 days
If you desire more solutions to decrypt DVD and Blu-ray protections, find more answers in the Related Articles recommended below.
This MakeMKV review aims to solve all the problems you may encounter when using MakeMKV. “Is MakeMKV free”? “Is MakeMKV legal”? How to rip DVD and Blu-ray and decrypt the copy protection? In order to find all the answers you expect, go through this article and leave your comment if you desire more.